Leveraging Tensions to Build Brand Narratives
- All drama involves conflict. Without conflict, there is no story.
- Creativity happens in response to a problem. But most briefs are written as solutions.
- Not showing a product benefit is often more interesting than showing it.
- How the human brain is wired to notice conflict.
- Conflict can be as big as good versus evil or Crest versus cavities.
- The product or category doesn’t have any obvious conflicts, make one up.
Meet the Presenter: Luke Sullivan
After 32 years in the ad business at elite agencies like The Martin Agency and Fallon, Sullivan was for ten years a professor of advertising. He’s now available as a consultant, trainer, and keynote speaker.
Luke is the author of the popular advertising book ‘Hey Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Advertising’, and the blog heywhipple.com. His new book ‘Thirty Rooms To Hide In: Insanity, Addiction, and Rock ‘n’ Roll in the Shadow of the Mayo Clinic’, he describes as “like ‘The Shining’…only funnier.”